At St Ambrose Catholic Primary School, assessment forms a vital component of teaching and learning. A variety of tools are used to measure achievement including NAPLAN, Progressive Achievement Tests (PAT), the Numeracy Clinical Interview, Reading Assessments as well as a range of class based measures.
This approach enables teachers to focus on individual student growth.
St Ambrose is very proud of several recent achievements:
- Finalist in Australian Educator Awards in 2018 for Best STEM Program in Australia.
- Science Teachers Association of NSW ‘Young Scientist of the Year Awards’
- 2018: 1st Place (Yr 3 and Yr 4 division) and 1st Place (Yr 5 and Yr 6 division)
- 2019: 1st Place (Yr 5 and Yr 6 division) and Highly Commended (Yr 5 and Yr 6 division)
- 2020: Prizes not yet awarded – highest number of entries from our school
- National BHP Science and Engineering Awards: 3 Encouragement Awards received.
- Our students perform extremely well in NAPLAN testing. Over the past 3 years at least 70 % of Yr 3 students and 50% of Yr 5 students achieved results in the top 2 bands across tests.
- Our students regularly receive recognition for their performance in ICAS testing. In 2020 many students were awarded Distinctions and High Distinctions in English, Mathematics and Science placing them in the top 10% of all students who completed the tests.